Benjamin Satchwell played an important part in the transformation of Leamington, from a small village into a thriving spa town. As a result, he was dubbed the ‘Father of Leamington Spa’, and has given his name to this Wetherspoon pub.
Benjamin Satchwell lived at the corner of what is now New Street, in a cottage which was also used as the village post office. After his death, in 1810, it was managed by his daughter, Elizabeth. In 1784, Satchwell and his friend William Abbott, the landlord of The Black Dog, found Leamington’s second spring. The village now had a source of mineral water which was not controlled by the Lord of the Manor, which was developed commercially.